Don’t get fooled this Friday. It’s April Fools Day!
More importantly, don’t get fooled when choosing your plastic surgeon. You won’t get fooled if you follow these 5 steps to help you find the right plastic surgeon for you.
April Fools Day is only one day- you have to live with your plastic surgery results forever.
Important Article to Read Before Choosing your Plastic Surgeon
When it comes to choosing your plastic surgeon, it’s no joke. Don’t get fooled.
The truth is that if something is too good to be true then it usually is. We have all heard the outrageous claims made by popular “Plastic Surgery Centers.” They claim to provide excellent service for only a fraction of the price. But what are you really saving?
Here are a few things to look out for so you can keep from being fooled all year round:
1. Make sure that your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. The ASPS requires a surgeon to have at least two years experience and performed a set quota of procedures. Beware! Many “Plastic Surgery Centers” often give new and inexperienced surgeons the opportunity to “practice” on patients to build up the required quota of surgical cases that they need to become board certified. These surgeons will perform surgery at barely any cost just to get the experience. Do you really want to be a guinea pig with your body to save a few hundred dollars?
2. It is important to know if the surgeon has any Malpractice lawsuits against them and how this was resolved. This information is a matter of public record and easy to find. Beware! With centers you must look up the physician as well as the facility. Many lawsuits are registered under the plastic surgery center’s name drawing poor plastic surgeons with checkered pasts because they can hide behind the corporation.
3. Your surgeon should be reachable 24 hours a day for all questions. It’s better to ask a seemingly simple question than to ignore a potential problem. Beware! Centers are infamous for retail-like hours of operation. Unfortunately, emergencies don’t only occur between 9am and 5pm. You should have a direct phone number or at minimum the surgeon’s direct pager number.
4. Your health should be the primary concern and certain procedures must be performed in a sterile surgical facility. Particularly when anesthesia is used, there must be adequate monitoring. Going to a certified facility helps guarantee that you are in a safe environment. Beware! Many centers will sell you on their cheap surgery only to find out on the day of surgery that you will have to be awake throughout the whole thing! This really happens. There are horror stories of patients screaming in pain that everyone in the building can hear- including their families!
5. You need to know how many cases your surgeon performs a day. You want to make sure that your surgeon is experienced but still takes the time necessary for each case in order to get good results. Beware! Surgeons who work at centers usually pump out 6-10 cases a day, somewhat resembling a factory or as some call a “Chop Shop.” Quality over quantity is the rule when your dealing with surgery.